Are You Getting Value from Analytics?
In the best-selling book Competing on Analytics: The New Science of Winning, authors Thomas H. Davenport and Jeanne G. Harris “found a striking relationship between the use of analytics and business performance…High performers (those who outperformed their industry in terms of profit, shareholder return and revenue growth) were 50 percent more likely to use analytics strategically…and five times as likely as low performers.”
Analytics opportunities are abundant, including:
- Pricing optimization;
- Sales and inventory forecasting;
- Customer churn prevention;
- Marketing campaign optimization;
- Fraud detection;
- Supply chain management; and
- Many more.
Big Data and Analytics Challenge Traditional Data Management
However, businesses seeking to increase profitability, streamline operations, improve customer retention, extend product lines and reduce risk through analytics are constrained by traditional data integration approaches that slow analytics adoption. These include three significant challenges:
- Data silo and complexity challenge – Effective predictive analytics applications leverage data from multiple internal and external sources, including relational, semi-structured XML, dimensional MDX, and the new “Big Data” data types such as Hadoop.
- Query performance challenge – Large volumes of data must be analyzed making query performance a critical success factor.
- Agility challenge – Dynamic businesses require new and ever changing analyses. This means new data sources need to be brought on board quickly and existing sources modified to support each new analytic requirement.
Turbocharge Analytics with Data Virtualization
Cisco’s Big Data Integration Solutions Turbocharge Analytics
The Cisco Data Virtualization Platform provides an agile, high performance data integration approach that addresses big data complexity and silos. Analytics powered by Cisco leverage both the Big Data and enterprise data, to provide the insight needed to outperform the competition.
Cisco integrates your enterprise data with all the major types of Big Data including:
- Massively Parallel Processing based Appliances – Examples include EMC Greenplum, HP Vertica, IBM Netezza, SAP Sybase IQ, and more
- Columnar/tabular NoSQL Data Stores – Examples include Hadoop, Hypertable, and more
- XML Document Data Stores – Examples include CouchDB, MarkLogic, and MongoDB, and more
- Key/value Data Stores – Examples include Cassandra, Memcached, Voldemort, and more
(Access to some data stores may require additional java procedures.)
Using the Cisco Data Virtualization Platform to turbocharge analytics has numerous benefits including:
- Rapid Data Gathering Accelerates Analytics Impact – Cisco data virtualization’s nimble data discovery and access tools makes it faster and easier to gather the data sets each new analytic project requires.
- Query Optimization for Timely Business Insight – Cisco data virtualization’s query optimization algorithms and techniques are the fastest in the industry, delivering the timely information your analytics require.
- Data Federation Provides the Complete Picture – Cisco data virtualization’s data federation virtually integrates your data in memory to provide the complete picture without the cost and overhead of physical data consolidation.
- Data Discovery Addresses Data Proliferation – Cisco data virtualization’s unique-in-the-industry data discovery automates entity and relationship identification and accelerates data modeling so your analysts can better understand and leverage your distributed data assets.
- Data Abstraction Simplifies Complex Data – Cisco data virtualization’s powerful data abstraction tools simplify your complex data, transforming it from native structures to common semantics for easier consumption.
- Analytic Sandbox and Data Hub Options Provide Deployment Flexibility – Cisco data virtualization’s data access, caching and delivery capabilities can be configured to support your diverse analytic requirements from ad hoc analyses via sandboxes to recurring analyses via data hubs.
- Data Governance Maximizes Control – Cisco data virtualization’s data governance ensures data security, data quality and 7x24 operations to balance business agility with needed controls.
- Layered Data Virtualization Architecture Enables Rapid Change – Cisco’s loosely-coupled data virtualization architecture and rapid development tools provide the agility required to keep pace with your ever-changing analytic needs.