Discovering new upstream sources, smoothly delivering products through downstream distribution channels, and complying with extensive regulations are keys to success in the energy business.
Towards these goals, large IT investments have already been made resulting in numerous data silos and significant complexity. To continue meet these goals, energy companies are seeking new ways to integrate and leverage vast amounts of data from across these IT investments.
Cisco Data Virtualization Solutions for Energy Companies
Four of the top five global energy companies rely on the Cisco Data Virtualization Platform to provide the diverse information required across a range of strategic initiatives and business-critical IT projects.
Cisco data virtualization is a more agile, lower cost data integration approach that successfully addresses complex upstream and downstream data silos and delivers significant business benefits including:
- Increase Revenues – Maximize output from wells and refineries
- Improve Productivity – Ensure engineers, analysts and manager have all the information they require
- Reduce Costs – Avoid long data integration development cycles and excess data replication
- Decrease Risk – Improve visibility across upstream, downstream and back-office operations
- Ensure Compliance – Meet DOE, EPA, DOT, OSHA and EU compliance data requirements faster, for less
- Well Maintenance and Repair – Keeping wells up and pumping drives revenue. When wells go down, getting the right repair rigs and teams on site fast is critical. To allocate these scarce resources optimally, requires dispatchers and triage teams have real-time access to repair rig status, staffing availability, best practice procedures, maintenance records, flow rates, and more. Cisco data virtualization let you access and combine this diverse data so you can keep the oil and gas flowing.
- Regulatory Reporting – The energy industry is one of the most highly regulated industries today. EPA, OSHA, DOT, and many other federal and state agencies require hundreds of compliance reports. Because internal systems have been optimized for operations, not compliance, integrating the data needed from across these systems is often the biggest component in your compliance reporting costs. Cisco data virtualization quickly and easily federates diverse data from across your operational systems, leaving your operating data in place so you can avoid the extra costs that result from unnecessary data replication.
- Research and Development – Effective R&D pipeline management is the key to expanding energy sources, enhancing recovery and yield, and reducing costs in the energy business. Currently, most research project information resides is multiple systems. Managers have to access these separate systems to extract, compile, and assemble reports from multiple laboratory operations in order to keep up. Cisco data virtualization offers easier access and visibility into your R&D process.
- Human Resource Management – The shortage of skilled petroleum engineers, roustabouts, geologists, and others continues to worsen. Attracting, developing and retaining a highly skilled professional workforce has become a top priority. Leadership teams must be aware of the human aspect of their businesses at all times. Information is critical including skills development, legal and regulatory mandates on diversity; health care costs; training costs; and demographic shifts in workforce composition. Cisco data virtualization lets you integrate all this data.
- Sales Management – Sales managers need up-to-the-minute information at their fingertips to increase revenue and drive sales productivity. You can’t react to situations you are not aware of. The costs associated with lost opportunities or problems left unresolved are significant. Answers to questions such as am I tracking to make my numbers this month, what are the hot products, how is my customer satisfaction, where can I get additional sales, and more are constantly being asked each day. While this information resides in multiple silos, you need what you need, no matter where it resides. Cisco data virtualization can bring that information to you in the way that you want to see it.