Are Legacy Systems Holding You Back?
In our ever changing technology environment, new opportunities are everywhere. Predictive analytics, big data, mobile, cloud and virtualization are but a few.
These new technologies improve business competitiveness, increase agility, save money and more. But migrating from existing systems is risk prone. And efforts often drag out.
Is there a way to Migrate Successfully, Faster and with Less Risk?
Most people think of data virtualization as a high productivity, low cost way to integrate data for business intelligence and analytics. However, it is also very effective at legacy migration.
The key to data virtualization’s migration success is how it decouples source and consuming applications.This allows legacy migration to be done in a phased approach within the constraints of existing infrastructure. Said another way, data virtualization inserts flexible middleware that isolates the rest of the system from “moving parts.”
From “As Is” to “Will Be” and Everything “In Between”
First you identify the future “will be” state and all the “transitional” states in between.
Next, you insert data virtualization between the sources and consumers. This forms a layer of insulation that allows phased changes to legacy sources or consumers without impacting the related sources and consumers.
Then you make the changes is a controlled fashion, validating success at every step.
As a result, you can modernize quickly, with low risk.
How Data Virtualization Helps with Legacy Migration
- Migrate Legacy Data No Matter How Complex, Big or Old – Legacy data with a complex structure or code that is too old and seems difficult to integrate is not an obstacle. Data virtualization excels with complex data, big data and the ability to virtualize a wide range of data, including both structured and unstructured data.
- Transition Diverse Sources and/or Consumers – Data virtualization non-invasively integrates data from anywhere across the extended enterprise—in a unified, logically virtualized manner—for consumption by nearly any front-end business solution.
- Deploy without Impacting Your Business Processes – Data virtualization’s decoupling of sources and consumers even as you migrate them, assures the continuity of your daily business operations will not be affected.
- Ensure Reporting Continuity – Data virtualization also insulates reporting users during data warehouse migrations.
- Complete Your Migration Effort Quickly – Think in terms of weeks, not years. Development and deployment is fast and easy with data virtualization. Most implementations take just a few weeks.
- Get Productive Faster – Your IT staff will enjoy using data virtualization platforms such as the Cisco Data Virtualization Platform. They are easily to learn and use. And they completely automate many of tasks required.
- Keep Your Data Secure – Data virtualization executes authentication and authorization security functions to protect your data from improper use before, during and after migration.
- Data Warehouse Appliance Migration – To reduce data warehousing total cost of ownership by migrating to a data warehouse appliance, this large technology company used Cisco data virtualization to decouple their reporting from their data warehouse. Data warehousing cost reductions were achieved while reporting was successfully migrated without interruption.